Mental Health Matters: Supporting Employee Well-Being in the Workplace

Employee Well Being

6 min read

Reading Time: 6 minutes

Mental health is an underappreciated area where companies can have a significant impact on the lives of employees.

The disorder is a common problem today, impacting nearly one in five people annually. Supporting Employee Well-Being in the Workplace will explore strategies for employers to help reduce the prevalence of this issue at work by providing employees with resources and care tailored to their needs.

An essential part of the well-being of each individual is their psychological state. To maintain a healthy emotional state, individuals should have the chance to express themselves and care for themselves. As a result, employers may encourage employee well-being by creating a supportive environment.

Introduction 

An estimated one in five adults faces stress issues each year. Women, in particular, are at a very high risk of facing depression or anxiety disorders. There is still a stigma associated with issues. The perception is that having any employee well-being issue is seen as a weakness and not to be shared.

Today’s Workplace has also significantly changed within the last decade alone. A growing number of employees want work-life balance and are spending more time with their families than ever before. It can lead to stress and anxiety over balancing their roles as an employee while maintaining their responsibilities outside of work. This pressure to succeed can affect one’s stress issues negatively.

Unfortunately, the two often overlap. While one’s health can affect work performance, work stress can also negatively impact one’s psychological state. A person may be suffering from depression on the inside yet act like they are fine on the outside. They would rather avoid working with a colleague who has depression or anxiety.

If you are working in an office where people tend to mask their personalities, this may seem unsettling at first. However, this article would greatly benefit most people suffering from mental issues at work. Here is a list of 5 tips to make your office a more harmonious and supportive stress management place.

1. Don’t Judge 

You are unlikely to know what is happening in another person’s life, but you can take steps to support them. Also, don’t hide it. It should be okay to talk about things with the people around you – coworkers, friends, and even family members. There’s no right or wrong way of doing this – some people may need specific support, and that’s okay!

2. Take Care of Yourself as Well 

You must maintain good physical health as well as a psychological state. Eat well and exercise regularly, don’t drink too much alcohol, and take care of yourself. If you have a history of health issues, discussing them with your doctor is essential. Many people have prescribed medication for support in situations like this. There’s no excuse not to care for yourself if you suffer from issues.

3. It’s Okay to Talk About It

If relationships at work are bothering you, talk to a manager about it! It may be awkward at first but don’t hide anything from them. You must be able to speak up if you’re feeling stressed or distressed. But they are also responsible for listening carefully to any issues you raise and ensuring they support and encourage you!

4. Take Breaks; Take Them Often 

Get away from the office if you need to! Go for a walk or a coffee with a colleague -even juke a break for an hour or two. It is essential as it’s easy to get stuck in the same routine day after day as well as disregarding our feelings!

5. Talk About It! 

Be bold and talk about how things are going at work.

These are just some ways to make a happier and more supportive workplace environment or even just in the office.

7 Must-Know Leadership Tips for the Day

Importance of Mental Health in the Workplace 

It is unique among all professional fields as it can affect individuals at work differently depending on their personality and background. In today’s society, these problems are very prevalent. Over 50% of Americans will have a diagnosable mental illness or substance use disorder before getting married, according to MHA. Over 60% will have a diagnosable mental illness or substance abuse disorder at some point”. This high prevalence of psychological issues makes it very important for employers to provide a supportive and open environment for all their employees.

A supportive workplace has both direct and indirect benefits. Immediate benefits include increased employee satisfaction, reduced turnover, retention of skilled employees, and potentially increased productivity. Indirect benefits include preventing discrimination claims and decreased risk of accidents caused by employees suffering from issues. And an improved company image in the eyes of current or potential employees and the ability to attract new talent. A supportive environment can also promote a healthier lifestyle for individuals by reducing stress and improving their general well-being.

Around 90% of people’s stress can be affected by chance. It means that we can control only 10%. While we cannot control our genetics, we can choose how to live and what kind of life to lead based on our thoughts, feelings, and behavior.

Mental Health Matters

Workplace culture

The effects of health problems at work may include everything from disruption in job performance. Working more slowly or less accurately on more severe issues such as depression, anxiety disorders, substance abuse disorders (including alcoholism), suicidal ideation, or other self-destructive behavior.

The Workplace is a critical environment in which to address mental condition issues. Workers in the 25–44-year-old age range suffer from depression at almost two times the rate of those of similar age who are not employed. There are also much higher unemployment rates among persons with serious mental illnesses (including major depression, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, and severe anxiety disorders). All of these factors can lead to difficulty in securing and maintaining employment.

Approximately one out of every four people will experience a mental illness during their lifetime. About one-quarter to one-third of such people will remain unemployed at least once.

Mental Health Awareness

It’s been estimated that over 3.7 million people in the US have issues. Sadly, many of these people could be working their dream job. However, they’re still facing discrimination for their disability because we, as a society, are so unfamiliar with the signs and symptoms of mental illness.

Mental illness is not an easy topic to discuss, especially when opening up about what you deal with regularly or discussing how your health impacts your performance at work.

Employee Wellness

Employee mental health awareness can include any number of things. Anyone who exhibits signs or symptoms of an episode of mental illness that interferes with their work performance is an employee in need of support and resources.

Often employees with a mental illness will avoid interaction with peers and supervisors in the Workplace. Feeling ashamed and embarrassed about their condition or the symptoms they are experiencing. The stigma aspect reduces many employees from seeking help, which can have far-reaching implications for themselves and those around them, raising awareness. One of the first steps to helping employees struggling with mental harnesses. Employees can remove some of the stigma surrounding mental illness by learning to recognize the signs and symptoms of mental illness.

Build a Culture of Awareness

If you want your employees to be aware, they need to know where they want to seek help or support others. By creating a workplace culture that is supportive and accessible, any employee will feel empowered to reach out for help or give consent when they see their peers in need.

Work-Life Balance 

Employers need to make it known that it’s okay for people living with mental illness. And that those around them not only recognize but also address issues at work. It could mean educating employees on how to respond when they see signs of an episode or encouraging employees to talk about their struggles through programs like Active Minds. This campaign speaks out against stigma so that more people have the strength and comfort to get help.

In many organizations, employee wellness supports those with psychological state issues who don’t come forward. Managers need to be aware of the warning signs for mental illness – absenteeism, disengagement, tardiness, lowered productivity, and quality – and know how to manage them. They should also know where to refer employees for support and ensure that the organization offers employee assistance programs (EAPs).

Conclusion: 

Workplace mental health is something that should be taken into consideration. It has proven that those working in an office with good health tend to have a more positive output. It is a struggle. The result could be more optimistic. It can affect the company worldwide if people are not mentally well.

Don’t judge your colleagues; care for yourself and share your thoughts. Taking these steps will make an office a healthier environment for everyone.

Published: August 4th, 2023

Subscribe to Our Newsletter

Get monthly product and feature updates, the latest industry news, and more!





    By submitting this form, you agree we may contact you in the manner described in our Privacy Policy.

    Subscribe To Our Newsletter

    Join our subscribers list to get the latest news, updates and special offers delivered directly in your inbox.